2008年10月30日

Reporting on the ground from Austin, Texas

This time, I really have a problem with jet lag. Therefore, here I am, grabbing the laptop and write (though it is not a Chinese language equipped machine.) Some of the preliminary observations I have had on US.

Things are not going that bad in Texas. People here keep saying it was because of the booming business of oil. Furthermore, Information Technology business are not as bad as Wall Street has suffered. Therefore, the house price hasn't dropped a bit. There are even some reports of transactions with higher price. Also, Austin is expanding, with more new towns developing like South of Austin. But retail spending, according one of my friend, is slowing down. No more excessive buying from them is our conclusion and people started to save money for the coming financial nuclear winter. That is sure bad news for the America GDP.

Surprisingly, I don't see any political ads here for Obama. Well, that may be Obama's strategy since Texas for the whole election campaign is a "Safe Republican" states. It seems to be Obama doesn't even want to waste time here in Lone Star States campaigning. Though I voted for Obama, I am sad to say Texas will be for John McCain....

Finally, I am surprised to see that Texas also produced wine. I just bought a Cabernet Sauvignon produced by Becker Vineyards, Fredericksburg, Texas. Awesome. Let's see how this wine performed once I have time to taste it.

沒有留言: